Tramway Timelines

1880 Coventry & District Tramways Act, 1880, provides powers for steam tramway operation.
1884 Steam tramway operation commences. Foleshill Depot opens.
1893 Operation of steam trams is suspended.
5 December 1895 Coventry Electric Tramways Co start their electrified service to Foleshill.
12 December 1895 The electric tram service is extended to Bedworth.
1897 Coventry Electric Tramways Act, 1897 authorises new electric tram routes.
1899 Priestley's Bridge Depot opens.
22 July 1899 A new route is inaugurated to Stoke ("The Bulls Head") via Victoria Street and Binley Road. A tram service is also introduced to Bell Green via Stoney Stanton Road.
25 July 1899 A further new route opens to Gosford Green via Ford Street and Far Gosford Street.
6 March 1900 A postal service is introduced. Certain trams carry a post box which can be used for the posting of letters at a surcharge.
1903 Coventry Electric Tramways Act, 1903 provides for extension of the network to Earlsdon and Allesley Road. It also gives Coventry Corporation powers to acquire the tram operation.
22 March 1905 The extensions to Earlsdon and Allesley Road are introduced.
1 January 1912 Coventry Corporation takes over the tram network.
January 1913 Tramcar 42 is completed by the Corporation in the workshops of the former Coventry Electric Tramways Co. This is the only tramcar to be built in the works.
1913 Coventry Corporation Act, 1913 gives to the Corporation powers to operate motor buses.
30 March 1914 The first motor buses are placed in service in Coventry.
6 September 1914 Following the start of World War One, the motor buses are withdrawn. The chassis are commandeered by the Army and the bodies are sold to Sheffield Corporation.
24 November 1919 Motor bus operation recommences.
1921 The first new trams to be purchased since the end of World War One are placed in service.
May 1926 A short extension of the network sees trams introduced to Stoneleigh Terrace and Queens Road, allowing trams to operate between Coventry Station and Earlsdon.
September 1930 The last extension takes place. The Stoke route is extended from "The Bulls Head" to Uxbridge Avenue.
1931 The last new trams enter service.
5 March 1932 The first service withdrawal takes place. The route between Allesley Road and Broadgate ends.
March 1933 Mr T R Whitehead retires as General Manager and Mr R A Fearnley is appointed in his place. Mr Fearnley is experienced in bus operation and has progressive ideas.
8 March 1936 The service between Ford Street and Gosford Green is abandoned.
11 April 1937 The route between Broadgate and Earlsdon is withdrawn.
18 July 1937 Services between Coventry Station and Broadgate cease. The Bedworth and Bell Green services now terminate in Broadgate.
12 August 1939 The route to Stoke (Uxbridge Avenue) via Victoria Street and Binley Road is abandoned.
18 August 1940 Due to rationing of fuel as a consequence of World War Two, trams are reintroduced between Broadgate and Uxbridge Avenue via Victoria Street and Binley Road.
15 November 1940 Following the eleven hour bombing raid, the track and power supply for the tram system is severely damaged. Tram services are unable to operate.
December 1940 The Corporation decides to suspend tram operation for the duration of the war.
3 February 1941 The Corporation decides to abandon tram operation altogether.


Contents A Brief History New General Traction Company Did You Know...? The Electric Tramcars of Coventry System Map Industrial Archaeology Home Page A - Z Index Your Feedback Links to Related Sites Exit
Contents © Ken Crawley 2000 & 2001