Coventry Tramways Depots
Coventry Trams were housed in two depots. Both were operational as tram depots
Foleshill depot was the first to be opened. It was sited
near Old Church Road and was opened in 1884. After the end of tram services,
the depot was used as a bus garage until 1954 when a new garage was opened at
Sandy Lane. However, the building was retained by the City Council and used
for other purposes.
Priestley's Bridge Depot
The second depot opened at Priestley's Bridge on the Stoney Stanton Road in
1899. Some of the depot buildings were destroyed by bombing. After the end of
tram services, Priestley's Bridge depot was also used in conjunction with bus
operations. The site was on land which adjoined the later Harnall Lane bus
depot, and the main tram depot building was converted for use as a paintshop. The
tramway power station adjacent to the depot building also remained in use as
a store. They fulfilled these roles until 1986 when the new garage at Wheatley
Street was opened.